Thursday, February 14, 2008

Our First Date

Ten years ago today Jeff took me on our first date. I remember exactly what I wore: white turtle neck with a red button down sweater, blue jeans and brown shoes. I have no idea what he wore. He showed up at my door late which miffed me. But all was fine because he arrived with three roses and a Valentine's card. I was hooked. We went to a USC basketball game. Other than those details, I really don't remember much about our evening.

One month later he held my hand. A month after that he finally kissed me. In the wee hours of April 5th to be exact. I left for vacation a few hours later and missed Jeff terribly. I knew then I wanted to be with him forever.

One night after Jeff left my house I called him at home. I asked him what he thought about "us." He said he didn't know because...and I quote..."girlfriends are expensive." He'll NEVER live that down.

At my brother's wedding in early May my uncle commented to Jeff, "You two are next." I smiled like nobody's business when Jeff nodded. That was it! I was sold.

On Christmas Eve Jeff showed up at my house unexpectedly. He had a glass of ice water that he wanted to leave in my freezer before heading to church. After church we went back to my house where we exchanged gifts. Jeff said he would get me something to drink and I told him no thanks. He insisted. He brought his glass of ice water into the living room and placed it on the coffee table in front of me where I let it sit. A minute later he told me to drink the water. As I lifted the glass my eyes met a diamond ring encased in an ice cube. I used warm water to retrieve the ring. Jeff took the ring, got down on one knee and proposed.

So that's our story. It may be corny to you and that's fine. It's our story and we love it.

post signature

No comments: