Friday, May 23, 2008

I Applaud Eddie Walker

**DISCLAIMER**
I think being gay is a choice. Biblical or not, that's my belief. I do not support gay rights, issues or marriage. You will never change my mind on the subject. End of discussion.


You've probably seen it on the internet. Irmo High School principal Eddie Walker is resigning over the formation of a new club at the school. You can read the story HERE in our local paper. You can read Mr. Walker's letter addressing Irmo HERE.

I applaud Mr. Walker for taking a stand. It's obvious that he is a professional and holds his beliefs and convictions close to his heart. I've read many things on the internet degrading Mr. Walker for his choice to resign. He's been called stupid and an idiot. If that were the case he wouldn't be where he is today. I'm really surprised this issue has received so much media attention. It's really being blown out of proportion. Regardless, I do applaud Mr. Walker.

Mr. Walker was the principal of the elementary school that my little sisters attended. There are several things I vividly remember about Mr. Walker. When dropping Bailey off at school, Mr. Walker was ALWAYS outside shaking the kids' hands and greeting them. ALWAYS. I remember one year Mr. Walker challenged the kids with a summer reading program. He promised if the kids met the goal he would kiss a pig. And, yes folks, Mr. Walker did indeed kiss a pig. I believe Bailey read over 100 books that summer. I think the thing that stands out the most in my mind about Mr. Walker is that he interacts with the kids at school. If he sees you walking down the hall he speaks to you. He's very involved and truly cares about his job and the kids.

post signature

1 comment:

Tara said...

I saw the story yesterday and I also applauded his decision. :)