Monday, September 11, 2006

We Will Not Forget

As you know, today is September 11th. Five years ago our security as Americans was compromised when terrorists invaded our country, killing thousands of innocent people and leaving families broken.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing, what I thought and what I said...
I was at work on Pickens Street listening to the Morning Rush on WNOK. The host interrupted the show and announced that a plane had hit the World Trade Tower. I jokingly said, "How could someone not see the World Trade Center and hit it with a plane?" I seriously thought someone learning to fly or somthing had accidently crashed their plane. The thought of terrorists never crossed my mind. Someone in the my office tuned the tv in to a local station so we could find out what was going on. A structural engineer was in our office for a meeting and assured us the towers were built to withstand such an impact and wouldn't plummet to the streets of New York City. I doubted him. Then, in terror and tears, we all watched the towers tumble, killing people and sending thousands running for their lives.

I did fear for my life that day. I live in a major city, the capital of our state. I live a stone's throw away from a well known and popular Army base where soldiers train to serve our country. So why not Columbia?

Later that evening at home, Jeff and I watched the replays again and again. Finally, we had enough. We headed to Walmart. We didn't need anything other than a break from the constant reminder of what had happened. There were very few people shopping. I suppose everyone was at home glued to the tv and hugging their kids.

My heart truly goes out to those directly effected by the terrorist attack. There are children without parents...wives without husbands and husbands without wives...parents without children...I pray for all of those injured in the attacks and I pray for those who lost loved ones. I appreciate and praise every civil service member who answered the call of duty and helped saved lives. I praise those who helped perfect strangers. I praise those who are helping rebuild New York City.

I know that September 11th is a part of history that I will live to tell my children and grandchildren about. However, I hate the constant reminders of the tragedy. I hate seeing the pictures of the smoking towers in unsuspected places. I hate seeing the pictures of dust covered Americans running in terror.

Jeff and I weren't directly or physically effected by the attacks. We didn't know anyone personally in NYC, Pennsylvania or Washington DC. However, our security was effected. Thanks to the terrorists we can't take a simple bottle of hand lotion or nail clippers on a plane. We must remove our shoes and be patted down to board a plane. We are simple people living a simple life. We are Americans living the American dream. We are Americans with freedoms like no other. We are American and we will teach our sons to respect the flag and the National Anthem and to thank, appreciate and respect those who serve our country. We will teach our boys that they have unnumbered opportunities at their fingertips and not to take that forgranted. We will teach our boys not to abuse their freedom for we are proud to be American.

No comments: